>
our 5 cents
Friday, January 20, 2006
  I'm An Accomplice to Hookey
I spent the day in the Healthy Lifestyle Clinic, giving sound advice to my young friends and their parents.

M is a girl I have been counseling since April. She is 17 years old and has been losing weight consistently every month, despite a total lack of effort or lifestyle change! Every month she comes, without parents, for a follow-up appointment and stares blankly as I ask what changes she has made.

"What are you doing for physical activity?" "Walking 10 minutes to school"
"Are you eating any vegetables?" "I'm not really a fruit or vegetable person"
She's done nothing- NOTHING- and has lost 11 lbs in 8 months.

The unfortunate thing is, I fear she comes from a home of neglect and poverty. On a few occasions, I have asked her whether there is enough food in the house but have never gotten a response that would point me in a direction to seek help for M. Also, I suspect she is of borderline intelligence. Also, she smells.

Enough of that though! Today, she lost another kg and I suggested we wait 3 months before her next visit (She's doing well, weight-wise, and not listening to a word I say, so why continue to see her monthly?). A look of shock crossed her face: "3 months?". I asked if she felt more motivated by coming in every month. M said: "No, but 3 months is a long time not to leave school early". Ms Ms said: "M, is the reason you keep coming to the clinic because you get to leave school?". And M replied: "Uh, YEAH!!!"

The mystery as to why a totally clueless and aloof teen faithfully attends all her appointments while being totally non-commital to any lifestyle change: SOLVED.
 
Comments:
All I have to say to that is : WOW.

It's funny how honest your patients all are, isn't it? Like that girl who was all "my snack is in the drawer".

But this girl has no shame! Haha! so what do you do in a case like that?
 
i found this pretty funny! whast kids will do to get out of school.
however i also have to say that i found it quite sad, as it really is a commentary on our school system, as well as the state of parenting in our communities.
so ya, really... what do you do about this??
 
BE COO, STAY IN SKOO!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Previously on Our 5 Cents
oy vey
A Good Date!
so much blog so little time
I have a place to live.
HEY SUCKAS!
An Occasion of Massive Proportions
tiny tidbits of tushy treasure
Salads: Not Just an Appetizer
A New Year's Date?
Horny Old Patient

Archives
October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 / January 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 /


Powered by Blogger