>
our 5 cents
Monday, April 24, 2006
  No Nuts on the Plane
There was a time when getting on an airplane was synonymous with getting a bad meal and a tiny packet of peanuts (that was really the only thing to carry you through that flight). Most airlines have now taken away the free bad meal forcing you to spend upwards of $7.00 if you want to eat preheated, unidentifiable grub. Every flight I say, “next flight I’m boing to pack my own snacks” . Every flight I forget and then have to make the choice between starving or ordering the Turkey Ham & Cream Cheese on Raisin Bread?!!! (I swear, no joke – they serve this disgusting combo on American Airlines!)

On my last flight I took a stand, no more bad expensive airplane food. I looked in my fridge and I prepared a delightful lunch and snack to last me through the 6 hour flight from LA to NY. I made a salad in disposable Tupperware, emptied the last of the wasabi cashews in a plastic baggie and grabbed a couple of cliff bars for a snack. I was ready for this flight.

“Attention ladies and gentlemen, we have a peanut allergy on board. We would appreciate it if you would refrain from eating any snacks you may have brought on board that contain nuts!”

Darn, I won’t be able to eat those wasabi cashews. Oh well, mmmmmmm, salad time. Wait a minute, I make a spinach, beet and walnut salad. If you are allergic to peanuts are you allergic to walnuts too? The flight attendant said “no nuts”. Oh well, I forgot a fork anyhow.

Stomach rumbling now. At least I can eat my Cliff bar chocolate chip cookie flavor. Shit, oh no, I didn’t! I grabbed the peanut and honey flavor. Now what?

So there I sat on the airplane grumbling about the fact that I couln’t eat any of my nut filled snacks. At least Jet Blue provides you with a spreadable cheese type object and crackers just before you land. Wish I had gone straight to OOTG’s seder. I would have been ready!

 
Comments:
this is revolting. who thought up such a thing? cinnamon cream cheese and ham? with raisins? barf!

and.... walnut vs peanut allergies are totally different!!! ONe does not need to restrict all nuts if the problem is peanuts.

take it from me, i attended an all day allergy workshop 3 weeks ago.
 
agreed. this sandwhich is totally, totally, totally revolting.

But a moer revolting thing would be to watch me eat it - since my mouth is half frozen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Previously on Our 5 Cents
Issue with OOTG
i figured i would write a post instead of just com...
Split Me Trousers!
Are those Brownies?
So, You Think My Mum's A Kook?
Overheard at the Ms.' House...
I'm a Sickass
Just in case I had forgotten, It’s Official. I li...
"Our 5 Cents" In a Nutshell
"Wake Up, Wake Up, Brush Your Teeth"

Archives
October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 / January 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 /


Powered by Blogger